Connection issue

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
alwishy

November 24th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Nikon D750 Fw 1.15
Samsung S9 Latest android update
Unleashed N2

N2 just arrive today but having a few issues getting connection
Once the dongle was plugged into the camera and turned on the connection light flashes but all options are greyed out although it shows in "Your unleashed" as 003841 ?
I have tried reinstalling the app and removing the camera battery but no change.

Any ideas as I was hoping this was going to save me time but so far wasted 2hrs of my day trying to get it connected.
Oliver

November 24th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Hi!

there are some known issues with Android, but unfortunately the issues come from the Android Bluetoth Stack, so nothing we can really do about it. The easiest fix that usually works is to turn Flight mode on and off again.
If that doesn't work, you're welcome to post a screenshot here or send one to support@foolography.com, so we can help you more specifically. If possible, tap on one of the greyed out options so we can see the errormessage shown in the bottom area.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Unfoolishly

November 24th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Hi Alwishy,

This problem can also occur when you have plugged in the USB cable the wrong way.

See this video to see how the cable must be plugged in correctly.

Greetings,
Unfoolishy
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
alwishy

November 24th, 2020, 4:46 pm

As suggested I toggled airplane mode on/off multiple times and was eventually able to get it connected, then attempted to carry out FW update but it stayed on 0 % for over 20mins before giving up.
Once disconnected I tried to reconnect which took me longer even uninstalling app and removing camera battery
(hardly ideal)
So I borrowed my sons I phone 7 and installed the app and it connected instantly but still unable to perform the F/W update ?
Is there a hot fix for the Android Bluetooth stacking issue ? as pretty pointless product for me if I have to downgrade to an I phone.
Unfoolishly

November 24th, 2020, 6:24 pm

alwishy wrote:
November 24th, 2020, 4:46 pm
As suggested I toggled airplane mode on/off multiple times and was eventually able to get it connected, then attempted to carry out FW update but it stayed on 0 % for over 20mins before giving up.
Once disconnected I tried to reconnect which took me longer even uninstalling app and removing camera battery
(hardly ideal)
So I borrowed my sons I phone 7 and installed the app and it connected instantly but still unable to perform the F/W update ?
Is there a hot fix for the Android Bluetooth stacking issue ? as pretty pointless product for me if I have to downgrade to an I phone.
Hi Alwishy,

Which Android hardware do you have? And on what OS version is your Android and iPhone phone?
Have you checked if the USB cable is correctly installed? Some users have reported that they incorrectly installed the USB cable, and when correctly installed the USB cable, they had no more failures in updating the firmware.

Too bad the Android bluetooth stack is not as nicely implemented/programmed as the iOS bluetooth stack is. It's a problem many Android bluetooth stack developers bump into when programming Bluetooth capabilities in their Apps, and it is beyond their control :(

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
alwishy

November 24th, 2020, 9:02 pm

The patch lead is fitted correctly facing forward as per Foolography instruction and it doesn't need the patch lead to power the dongle up for the 5v required as this is supplied by the socket on the D750,the lead I believe is for the additional functions although connected anyway.
The android hardware is an S9+ running software G965FXXUCFTK1/G965FOXMCFTJ2/G965FXXUCFTJ1
I phone 8 is on iOS 13.6.1

If there is a known problem with Android devices and connectivity it should of been noted in the notes as I waited to purchase this after reading many great reviews.
Oliver

November 24th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Hi
The android issue is not always present, and I hope that it will not constantly reappear for you.
There are plenty of very happy Android users enjoying their Unleasheds. It can just happen every now and again that you need to quickly switch on flight mode if it doesn't want to connect again.

That said, once you start a firmware update, the Unleashed goes into firmware update mode, waiting for new Firmware. While in this mode, the Android app can't reconnect to the Unleashed. So you have to take out the camera battery (or unplug the Unleashed) for it to get out of firmware update mode and become connectable again. We're actually currently working on changing that - the iPhone app can already connect to the Unleashed in firmware update mode, but that's because it was necessary for us to be able to do a firmware update at all. It wasn't necessary for Android, but it's been on our todo-list for a long time.

Now, as for the firmware updating not working - can you send me the current firmware versions installed? And can you send me your Serial number? You're very welcome do send it to support@foolography, no need to post it here.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
alwishy

November 24th, 2020, 11:33 pm

Thanks Oliver will do.