GPS without USB cable [solved]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
nikori

October 23rd, 2018, 9:20 pm

Hi,

if I use the UNLEASHED without the USB cable, and use the camera button for a shoot, no GSP data is transferred from the App to the camera.
(Whilest shooting with the button of the App supplies the GPS data to the camera.)

I tried the "Priority" TRIGGER as well as GPS.

Please let ne know, if this is an issue.
I would prefer to use the UNLEASHED without the USB cable for my every day shooting.

Kind Regards.

Nikon D750, Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1, Photo Mode of the APP 0.9.2
nikori

October 28th, 2018, 11:45 am

Hi,

since I updated the App to 0.9.3, GPS does not work reliable, even if I connect the USB cable.

When I try to reproduce the behaviour, I'm getting confused by the varying results of the App. Sometimes the GPS is shown as switched on in the status bar of the smartphone, sometimes not.

Please let me know how to start the App an how it is designed to function.

1. Do I need to start Bluetooth on the smartphone first ?
2. Do I need to start GPS on the smartphone first ?
3. Do I need to start the App as the third action ?

4. The App consistently connects to the UNLEASHED !

5. Will the App automatically start collecting the GPS data ?

Please supply me with an answer to the above, I will then be able to run test cases.
Or let me know, what test cases I should run.

Kind Regards.

Nikon D750, Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1, Photo Mode of the APP 0.9.3, UNLEASHED N2
Andy

October 29th, 2018, 9:52 am

Hi nikori,

As far as I'm aware the Android app still has some issues sending GPS data to the Unleashed. These issues are being worked on as we speak. We also spotted some erratic behavior with GPS in the Unleashed itself and the issue is being investigated.

Besides that, a couple of things to have in mind:
  • When the app is open (in the foreground, being actively used), GPS data is only transmitted to the camera when triggering from the app. This is because when the app is being used the Unleashed prioritizes keeping all settings up-to-date, rather than sending GPS data to the camera.
  • In Nikon cameras, GPS and settings are adjusted through the same port (the round or square one). However, if you plug in the USB cable, the Unleashed can keep settings up-to-date via USB, while GPS data is being sent all the time through the other port. This is why GPS with USB is more reliable.
  • When the app is in the background (not open, but still running), the Unleashed does not have to update settings and therefore can send GPS data all the time. Nevertheless, it stops sending GPS data after a while to save power. GPS transmission starts again as soon as the meter goes on again.
I hope this helps.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
nikori

October 30th, 2018, 10:29 pm

Hi Andy,

thank you for the clarification.

What is still open for me: running the APP without the USB cable it shows me two options for the GPS button: TRIGGER and GPS.
What are the functions for each option?

Kind Regards

Nikon D750, Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1, Photo Mode of the APP 0.9.3, UNLEASHED N2
Andy

October 31st, 2018, 10:01 am

As you might have noticed, triggering from the app with GPS priority takes longer than with Trigger priority. This is because with GPS priority the Unleashed makes sure that the photo will definitely be geotagged. This requires stopping the protocol that updates settings, starting the GPS protocol and sending GPS data to the camera before releasing the shutter. That entire process takes about a second.

Trigger priority is there for cases when you really need to take the picture asap. In that case, the Unleashed will still send GPS data to the camera, but it won't wait until the data gets there to trigger. In my experience, this is not so reliable and photos aren't geotagged most of the time.
Andy
nikori

October 31st, 2018, 4:12 pm

Hi Andy,

with App version 0.9.3 I tried to reproduce the above.
I reproduced unexpected behaviour that I described as 'slider does not move' above.

Please see my test sequence and results. If my writing is not clear enough, I could provide screen shots. (please let me know how to provide.)

The UNLEASHED and the smartphone App were paired some times ago.

14:40 - Unleashed App: forced stop via Android settings;
- switch on Camera;
- USB cable disconnected;
- start Smartphone Bluetooth (GPS is switched off at the smartphone);
- start Unleashed App: it takes some seconds until the link is established
14:42 App displays the setting "RAW M"
14:43 select quality button: the lower area of the display is filled with the two quality sliders. The left one shows RAW-lighted, the right one M-grey
14:44 pulling up fast the left slider to BASIC: the right slider shows M-lighted
14:45 pulling down the left slider to RAW: the right slider shows M-grey
14:47 pulling up the left slider to RAW+BASIC: the Setting shows RAW+BASIC+M, the left slider shows RAW (!) and the right slider shows M-lighted
14:47 pulling the right slider to L: the Setting shows RAW+BASIC+L, the left slider shows RAW (!) and the right slider shows L-lighted
14:47 now I tab (not pull!) on the RAW: the Setting shows RAW+BASIC+S, the left slider shows RAW (!) and the right slider shows S-lighted
14:48 select the ISO button
select the Quality button: the Setting shows RAW+BASIC+S, the left slider shows RAW+BASIC, the right one S-lighted
14:49 now I tab (not pull!) on the RAW: the Setting shows RAW+S, the left slider shows RAW, the right one S-gray
14:49 now I tab (not pull!) on the FINE: the Setting shows RAW+S, the left slider shows FINE(!), the right one S-gray

For me it looks as if pulling the quality slider behaves different to tabbing on a slider value. The left slider value is not updated in some situations.

Kind Regards

nikori

October 31st, 2018, 4:37 pm

Hi Andy,

similar to the quality slider: the slider for ISO values also does not get synchronized with the ISO setting if you tab on a value instead of pulling/sliding.

Kind Regards

Andy

October 31st, 2018, 4:59 pm

Hi nikori,

I know a colleague recently fixed a bug with the Size setting on Nikon with USB. I also know that "tapping" on settings in the picker instead of "sliding" to them does not work, both in Android and in iOS. We didn't think it would be that much of a problem and didn't really prioritize that issue, but it increasingly looks like people really need the tapping feature. We will look into that.

We will also try to reproduce the issues as you described them. I'll let you know what we find.
Andy
nikori

January 1st, 2019, 2:56 pm

Hi Andy,

with the Android APP 0.9.6 the above described issues are solved.

A big 'Thank You' to the Team for the solution.

Nikon D750, Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1, Photo Modus der APP 0.9.6, UNLEASHED N2 Version 1.0-1.0-1.1
Oliver

January 2nd, 2019, 9:01 pm

You're welcome. :-)
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.