Firmware update failure

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Hoot52

July 23rd, 2019, 12:53 am

Received replacement today. Firmware is up to date so we shall see what a future update brings. All options appear functional, to the extent possible with the D300. I have found an odd reading in a photo’s GPS data when my Bad Elf GPS Pro is simultaneously connected to my iPad Mini 2 via Bluetooth. Position data is fine but the altitude reading is literally astronomical. No big deal to me as I have never been concerned with geotagging photos, but it may be of concern to someone at some point in time. Anyway, thanks for taking care of this! You guys rock!
Oliver

July 24th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Hi Hoot52,

just to get it straight: Your Bad Elf is connected to your iPad, your iPad to the Unleashed?

Can you check the Bad Elf app to look at the altitude?
We will try to check the same configuration, see if we can find the issue.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Hoot52

July 24th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Hi Oliver. This may not be anything you need to worry about. Here’s what happened: I was testing the device and one of the last tests involved the GPS data being embedded in the metadata. I took a photo without the Bad Elf involved and the altitude showed 8m. Looked legit. Then I turned on the Bad Elf, let it connect to the iPad and waited for it to “find itself” - so to speak. I then took a couple more photos just to see if the Bad Elf was providing more accurate data to the iPad; as one would expect it to do. Strangely, the altitude showed something like 209+ MILLION meters. I forget the exact numbers and I have deleted the photos, so I can’t provide them anyway.

My thinking is that turning on the Bad Elf while the Unleashed was “in session” with the iPad introduced the anomaly. The next day I connected the Bad Elf to the iPad, got locked onto the satellites and then started a session with the Unleashed. Altitude reading was normal.

Frankly, it’s not a problem I would worry about. If you want to pursue it you certainly may. From my perspective I have learned that I will make sure the Bad Elf is connected and locked in BEFORE using the Unleashed - if I decide I want to even use GPS data. Hope this helps!