has anybody got this Sony A7IV error: "Cannot recognise the USB cable"

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
BothHemispheres

October 1st, 2023, 1:26 pm

Hi All,

Got my M day before yesterday, but I can't get it to work on my Sony A7IV. I can connect successfully between Unleashed and app, but all icons are greyed out. I've got a message into Foolography tech support, but I think they are swamped.

I've matched my camera settings to those described here:

https://www.foolography.com/start/

Rebooting camera and phone, and disconnecting and re-connecting the Unleashed had no effect (and I've flipped the USB-C connector).

The only error message I've found that seems to indicate a trackable problem is this one: "Cannot recognise the USB cable".
IMG_2464.jpeg
IMG_2464.jpeg (99.42 KiB) Viewed 808 times
Have any other A7IV owners gotten this message?

Many thanks in advance for any insights,

Chas
Oliver

October 4th, 2023, 12:38 pm

Hi,

sorry for the trouble.

We've never seen this error message on our A7 IV!

Can you send a screenshot of the app, when you tap on one of the greyed out settings?
Did your firmware update complete?
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
BothHemispheres

October 4th, 2023, 11:51 pm

Hi Oliver,

I sent a very comprehensive email (screenshots, tests etc) to your colleague Natasha on September 29, would you like me to reproduce it here? If you DM me, I can give you the email address I used to send it.

But to address your direct questions: firmware update completed successfully, though it took a few attempts. That photo of my A7IV's screen was taken after the update completed.

And here are two relevant app screenshots:
IMG_2462.jpeg
IMG_2462.jpeg (18.89 KiB) Viewed 775 times
IMG_2463.jpeg
IMG_2463.jpeg (19.76 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Glad to have you looking at my problem, as I'm very eager to become properly unleashed :-)
Oliver

October 9th, 2023, 3:50 pm

Just sent an email with more info, but for others reading this:
If you can - please try by resetting the camera to factory defaults and try again.

Thanks
Oliver

November 3rd, 2023, 11:41 pm

We published a firmware update that improves the USB connection. Could you try it to see if it fixes your issue?

Whenever there's a Firmware update available, you'll see a red notification badge on the menu icon in the bottom left corner of the app. Follow this notification badge through the app to get to the firmware update screen.
App menu (bottom left) → Unleashed with gear icon (bottom left) → tap on your Unleashed (near top ) → tap "Firmware"
Scroll down and tap "Install Update". With the Unleashed M, you need to keep the camera awake, so that the Unleashed stays powered during the entire update. To keep the camera from entering standby, half-press the cameras's shutterbutton continuously or regularly until the update is done. This only takes a little over a minute.
BothHemispheres

March 11th, 2024, 1:06 pm

Solved!

Well done to Foolography, for solving my problem. The latest firmware has got my Unleashed 2 working quite nicely with my A7IV (not sure when it came out, but I did the upgrade a few days ago, on or around March 09, 2024).

The only issue is that it was a bit difficult to get the firmware update to work while the Unleashed 2 was connected to my A7IV (it kept dropping the connection, and so couldn't finish the download). So I connected the Unleashed to a Nikon Z8 and completed the firmware update on that camera. After that, I reconnected it to my A7IV, where it then worked perfectly.

I will admit that my studio is pretty RF heavy, I should have tried the update in a different place (just thought of this).

Again, kudos to Foolography (thanks particularly to Oliver and Natasha) for not only the continual addition of features to the Unleashed, but also for addressing my particular issue.

Chas