Unleashed'22 with FUJI X-S10 [solved in A 3.1.4]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
soguland

October 11th, 2023, 11:11 am

Hi,

I get the following message: "Camera does not allow camera in this USB mode. Tap below and change USB settingin Camera menu to allow camera control."
I follow the procedure and go to the menu to set the USB connection option to "USB TETHER SHOOTING AUTO" and USB POWER SUPLY SETTING "to OFF
Despite this modification, the software on my phone still displays the message "Camera does not....."

An idea ?

Unleashed : App-Version 3.0.3
Phone : Pixel 6
FUJIFILM X-S10 : Version 3.01
Oliver

October 18th, 2023, 7:38 pm

Hmm, this is odd.

I had a look and the correct USB mode and support for the SDK (which works the same way as the Unleashed controls the camera), was only added with camera Firmware 2.0 for your camera so be sure you have your camera's Firmware up to date.

https://fujifilm-x.com/global/special/c ... ntrol-sdk/

You can find the update here:
https://fujifilm-x.com/de-de/support/do ... ras/x-s10/

Are you sure you set it to the correct usb mode? can you send a photo of the options here? It should look like this:

Fuji-X-T4-USB-Tether-Auto-to-Card-Reader-7.png
Fuji-X-T4-USB-Tether-Auto-to-Card-Reader-7.png (7.34 KiB) Viewed 4787 times
We have some more info here:
https://www.foolography.com/start/
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
soguland

October 31st, 2023, 11:31 am

Unfortunately, even in version 3.01 it is not better.
I always get the message "I am configured incorrectly..."
Attached various screenshots
Attachments
Capture d'écran 2023-10-31 112930.jpg
Capture d'écran 2023-10-31 112930.jpg (94.83 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
imptacoT

November 2nd, 2023, 1:32 pm

I am experiencing the same problem.
The latest firmware on X-S10 and for the Unleashed.

I notice that my Unleashed is not receiving usb power. If I don't plug in the hdmi kabel but only the usb part the lights do not light up and my phone cannot connect to Unleashed. When I plug in the hdmi kabel it receives power.
Which would imply a problem in the usb part.
I have contacted support about this, however haven't received a reply since Okt 19th.
Oliver

November 3rd, 2023, 11:21 am

Hi,

We issued another firmware update (3.0.2) 2 days ago.
Have you tried this?

Whenever there's a Firmware update available, you'll see a red notification badge on the menu icon in the bottom left corner of the app. Follow this notification badge through the app to get to the firmware update screen.
App menu (bottom left) → Unleashed with gear icon (bottom left) → tap on your Unleashed (near top ) → tap "Firmware"
Scroll down and tap "Install Update". With the Unleashed M, you need to keep the camera awake, so that the Unleashed stays powered during the entire update. To keep the camera from entering standby, half-press the cameras's shutterbutton continuously or regularly until the update is done. This only takes a little over a minute.
imptacoT

November 5th, 2023, 11:49 am

Hey Oliver,

Thank you for commenting.
I am already running the latest 3.0.2 firmware. Same problem persists.

Like I said, the Unleashed is not getting power via usb. When I don't plug in the hdmi-part there are no lights turning on.
So I think the usb part is broken.

It would be great if support can respond to my support request so I can finally start using Unleashed.
Oliver

November 5th, 2023, 11:16 pm

My request was more directed to the the Thread starter @soguland

As to your issue @imptacoT:
I think you're misunderstanding something: the HDMI cable always needs to be plugged in! That's how the Unleashed M is powered. The cameras don't provide any power via USB. So yes, without the HDMI cable plugged in, the LED will stay off, and you won't be able to connect to the Unleashed. The camera is controlled through the USB Port.

That's really odd with the X-S10. It's the only Fuji camera where the tethering USB Mode was added with a later firmware, maybe they're doing something different than on the other cameras, I'll talk with my colleague about this in the next days.
Oliver

November 12th, 2023, 12:28 am

Yesterday, we published a firmware update (A3.1.1 B3.1.0) that will hopefully fix the issues with this camera!

Please let me know if you can confirm that it works now!
imptacoT

November 18th, 2023, 5:57 pm

Hey, I installed the firmware update and excitedly tried to control my camera. But now Unleashed is saying: ‘Shutter speed is read-only. USB is no working’. Same for Aperture etc.
I am certain usb mode is correct.

So I am sad to say it is still not working for me.
Am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
Taco
Attachments
IMG_0858.png
IMG_0858.png (159.7 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
IMG_0859.png
IMG_0859.png (167.91 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
Oliver

December 15th, 2023, 9:11 pm

Last week we had debug sessions with two of our backers with an X-S10. Thanks again for this! We found the cause of most of the problems in the first session, fixed a couple of things right away, and ran some more tests after that. We then worked on the remaining issues, and the next morning had the next debugging session to test what we fixed. We had planned to make a firmware release right away, but then noticed some more issues with Fuji Triggering during our testing of our update that we decided to first implement fixes for those too. That's why there's no A 3.1.3 release, but we went straight to A 3.1.4 today!

The Fuji X-S10 is a very interesting camera - it's the only Fuji that got tethering support in a Firmware update, and indeed, it behaves even more different than we could have expected:
All cameras we support use the USB PTP protocol, and almost no brand (except Nikon) sticks to the standard!
One of Fuji's main quirks is that while they support most of the commands and properties of that protocol that we need, they only tell us that they support a handful of those, and we just assume that they support more! This works really well by now.
The X-S10 however tells us that it supports even less of the commands, and NONE of the properties we want to use. This was completely unexpected, and led to the failures of seen here.
So we now simply assume that it supports all the ones we need and work it out dynamically if a camera doesn't support one after all, when it returns an error.

We also found some more issues with triggering, but figured that out too in the second debug session. We then fixed even more triggering related edge cases today before making the release. So hopefully Fuji will be running much smoother now!

So, enjoy the Unleashed on your X-S10 and sorry it took so long to figure this out!