"mode not available" on app [solved with FW3.0.2]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
zkazekage

October 14th, 2023, 11:12 am

Hi,

I Was trying to set up the unleashed with my Sony A7R V. I managed to pair and up date it to firmware 3.0.0 for all A, B and C. But the app just says "mode not available". Wifi might be turned on, which disables USB.

I've followed the steps outlined in https://www.foolography.com/start/ and have set MENU > Setup > USB > USB Connection Mode > PC Remote. but my MENU > Network > Transfer/Remote > PC Remote Function > PC Remote stays "Off" and i can't find --> PC Remote Cnct Method > USB

Please help. Thanks in advance.
zkazekage

October 17th, 2023, 7:08 pm

Hi,

Is the Unleased '22 compatible with the Sony A7RV firmware 2.00?

Could it be the cause of this problem?
Oliver

October 17th, 2023, 11:26 pm

As far as we know, there is no firmware update required for the A7R V.
We did a lot of our implementation work with an A7R V, so we know it is generally compatible.

It sounds like it's a problem either with the USB connection, or a camera setting.

If you were previously connected to Image Edge Mobile app via WiFi Direct, ensure the phone is not connected to the WiFi network created by the camera.

if you don't mind, you can reset the camera to factory settings to start from scratch, then:
Set the camera setting: MENU > Setup > USB > USB Connection Mode > PC Remote

If it's the USB connection, you can try cleaning the magnetic contact by rotating the unleashed back and forth a few times.
Have you tried connecting the camera to a tethering software on a PC/Mac?

I hope that helps!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
zkazekage

October 21st, 2023, 2:33 pm

Hi Oliver,

Thank you for the response.

I meant that my A7RV is on version 2.0.0 and just today i have updated it to 2.0.1.

I done as suggested and reinitialize my camera and once again set the USB connection mode to PC Remote.
After doing so, I also tested the PC remote functionality, connecting through USB to the imaging edge remote PC's function. There was no issue there.

Today, I have also updated the unleashed 22 i received to version A: 3.0.1, B: 3.0.1, C: 3.0.0.

I have tried installing the unleashed app on 2 different android phones and both have the same result. The connection to the unleashed 22 was established, I can check the version of the device but none of the functionality is working and the message is still "mode not available"

I have submitted a log file using the app for session ID: cf4d2c7c-2442-42c3-a706-2540b65b547e would that help?

Could the unleashed 22 i received be faulty?

I was hoping to use the unleashed for my upcoming trip in november, this is somewhat discouraging.
Oliver

October 22nd, 2023, 1:45 am

Hmm, that's odd. Sorry for the continued trouble.

We tested every single Unleashed before shipping them out, so it's very unlikely that yours is actually defective.
The most likely issue is a contact issue of the USB connection. You can try cleaning the contacts of the magnetic plug, and if you rotate the Unleahshed back and for a few times, that helps creating better contact between the unleashed and the magnetic plug.

Did you try the PC connection with a USB 2.0 cable? that would be important, as USB 3.x cables use different contacts than the Unleashed uses. If you're a Mac user, you can use the charging cable that came with most Macs of the last few generations. They have USB 2.0, but no 3.0 wires. Otherwise you can use a smartphone charging cables, or a Micro USB adapter with a USB-C adapter.
zkazekage

October 22nd, 2023, 2:54 pm

Hi Oliver,

I have done as suggested:
- rotated the unleashed back and forth a few times but still doesnt work
- used my macbook's charging cable to connect to my A7RV and the remote PC works with the Imaging Edge application

Since my Camera can connect to the imaging edge through PC remote, its not likely a setting on my camera? It does not have wifi / bluetooth on neither.

I noticed some comments left on the kickstarter comments page where people are facing the same issue as me.

I have taken a picture of the pins, i found it odd that one of them is more exposed than the other, was wondering if this is expected, if not could it cause the contact issue?
DSC00004.jpg
DSC00004.jpg (211.06 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
zkazekage

October 25th, 2023, 6:50 pm

Hi Oliver,

Any other suggestions? otherwise, I have something that can't work.
Oliver

October 27th, 2023, 11:40 pm

We found a possible solution to your problem. We'll roll out a firmware update in the next few days that will hopefully solve it.
We found out that we were trying to connect to the cameras USB a little too quick for the camera's liking, especially (but not exclusively) when using very large Memory cards - it seems that the camera is still busy getting the storage ready before it's able to communicate via USB.

You can try the following to see if this lets you use the Unleashed:

Leave the Unleashed's cable plugged in, but disconnect the magnetic connection.
Turn off the camera, take out the camera battery, and wait a few seconds.
replace the battery, turn on the camera, wait a second or two,
then reconnect the Unleashed to the magnetic plug.

does that work?
zkazekage

October 28th, 2023, 8:02 am

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the reply, I tried out what you suggested and it works!

Thanks for following up. Excited to try it out for my up coming trip.

looking forward to the firmware update :D

Not sure if it will help but i'm using a 80 GB cfxpress-A memory card, and it was in the whole time i was trying out the steps you suggested.
Oliver

October 28th, 2023, 11:12 am

Awesome!
If those steps work, then the firmware update will almost certainly fix the issue!