A7s iii connection not working

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Justus

October 25th, 2023, 11:40 am

I get my unleashed connected to my phone, but unfortunately can't control the camera. When I go into the camera settings I am always brought back to the home screen after about 5 seconds, I have had this bug before when I connect an HDMI device. The USB remote function I think has been moved and is no longer there as shown in the tutorial (I think it is now in Network and Transfer/Remote and no longer in Setup and USB). I have at least tried all the settings and also get -PC- on the screen of the Sony displayed, but in the app the error that it can not control the camera.
Oliver

October 25th, 2023, 9:43 pm

Hi,

Please update your firmware. Whenever there's a Firmware update available, you'll see a red notification badge on the menu icon in the bottom left corner of the app. Follow this notification badge through the app to get to the firmware update screen.
App menu (bottom left) → Unleashed with gear icon (bottom left) → tap on your Unleashed (near top ) → tap "Firmware"
Scroll down and tap "Install Update". With the Unleashed M, you need to keep the camera awake, so that the Unleashed stays powered during the entire update. To keep the camera from entering standby, half-press the cameras's shutterbutton continuously or regularly until the update is done. This only takes a little over a minute.
In the last update we made critical improvements -especially for Sony.

Did you see the Getting Started page?
https://www.foolography.com/start/
Your camera is one of the first ones that have the new menu, so you have to look at the instructions for the > 2019 Sonys with the new menu.
  • MENU > Setup > USB > USB Connection Mode > PC Remote.
    This automatically sets:
    MENU > Network > Transfer/Remote > PC Remote Function > PC Remote > On and
    PC Remote Cnct Method > USB
  • If previously connected to Image Edge Mobile app via WiFi Direct, disconnect
  • If previously set to transfer FTP over USB
    Set the camera setting: MENU > Network > Transfer/Remote > FTP Transfer Func. > FTP Function > Off
I hope this helps!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Justus

October 29th, 2023, 5:54 pm

Hi Oliver,

I already updated the firmware. As I said, I switched the PC-Remote on (even the setting is somewhere else). But it's still not working. Unleashed is connected, Camera is showing PC remote, but app says USB not working. I switched the Airplane mode on. Under USB Connection as described from your side I can only choose Auto, Mass Storage and MTP. If I switch to MPT unleashed says it's initialising, but nothing changing for 5 min.

Hope you have any idea. If you need any information for debugging, just let me know or give me a call.

Justus
Oliver

October 29th, 2023, 5:55 pm

There's another firmware update we're about to release that might be a solution to this.
Oliver

November 12th, 2023, 1:03 am

Did the last firmware fix this issue for you?

If not, could you send a photo of the USB Setting you have set your camera to?
There are a few different places in the camera menu for PC Remote.

We found out that there are some cameras that are in between the old and the new kind, which don't have the "PC Remote" option in the USB Connection mode, but instead you need to set it in two other places:

A7R IV (AND MAYBE OTHERS CA 2019)
- MENU > Network > Transfer/Remote > PC Remote Function > PC Remote = On
- PC Remote Cnct Method = USB

we added this info to the Getting Started website:
https://www.foolography.com/start/