Timelapse in bulb mode does not work Sony A7 iii

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
bjornhel

November 2nd, 2023, 6:13 pm

Timelapse in bulb mode does not work on Sony A7 iii.
The problem occurs if I set the exposure time to bulb and long exposure to for instance 1m 04s and start a timelapse.
The first exposure is ok, however when the image is stored and camera "restarted" between the exposure, the long exposure time will be replaced with bulb rather than the set time. This results in some exposures going in bulb mode and not ending at the set time.
Firmware 3.0.2
Oliver

November 3rd, 2023, 11:16 am

Hi
The camera behaves weirdly with Quality set to just RAW, and the workaround we implemented (restarting USB after a certain timeout) is not very practicable. Please follow the instructions on our getting Started page:
https://www.foolography.com/start/

- Set the file format to RAW+JPEG (or just JPEG), There are significant disadvantages with just RAW
- Set the camera setting: MENU > Setup4 > USB Connection = PC Remote
- Set the camera setting: MENU > Setup4 > USB Remote Settings > Still Img. Save Dest. = PC+Camera
- Set the camera setting: MENU > Setup4 > USB Remote Settings > RAW+J PC Save Img = JPEG Only

I hope this helps!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
bjornhel

November 3rd, 2023, 5:11 pm

Unfortunately this does not work for me.
After entering the settings above the following happens:
1. The red led of the camera lights up continously after pressing the shutter in the app.
2. The camera restarts.
3. The camera shows the following message: "Writing to the memory card was not completed correctly. Recover data? Slot 1"
If I press cancel instead of enter at this step I have to format the memory card. (So this bug seems quite severe)
4. Then it says: "Execute? This may damage data that was added or edited on another device."

The only way for me not to get these messages is to only shoot RAW.
I tried to switch memory cards, but got the same message when shooting jpeg.
Oliver

November 3rd, 2023, 5:13 pm

This is the most important of those settings:

- Set the camera setting: MENU > Setup4 > USB Remote Settings > RAW+J PC Save Img = JPEG Only

if you shoot in RAW, then we have to reset the USB connection after every shot. This takes quite a long time, and the camera will seem to restart.

I'll do some more testing with the long exposures, maybe we missed something there.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.