Fujifilm X-T4 screen turns off [solved with magnet near sensor, disabling AF-ON only focus]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Neil

November 14th, 2023, 3:49 am

Hi, I have just received my Unleahed 22 for Fujifilm X-T4. I have update firmware and changed the usb setting to auto. I do not have Fuji's app installed. As soon as I attach the Unleashed to my camera the LCD screen goes black and the camera will not take a photo. I can change settings, shutter speed etc.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks in advance Neil
Oliver

November 14th, 2023, 2:38 pm

Hi,

Oh, you're absolutely right, we have yet to publish some info on this, thanks for reminding us! We'll add it to the getting started page. https://www.foolography.com/start/

We were also stumped by this with our X-T4, but the cause is very different than you might think.
The sensor to detect whether you have the screen open or closed seems to be located in the bottom left corner of the screen and is actuated by a magnet that is in the top left corner of the screen when it's open, which moves to the bottom left corner of the screen when it's closed.
You might notice what the issue is: the sensor is quite near to where the Unleashed is plugged in, and the Magnetic Unleashed and plug can trigger the sensor.
The good thing is that it doesn't always hold the sensor in the "screen closed" position, but it it can hold it closed depending on how you attach the Unleashed to the magnetic plug. (ie if you pass by the sensor while attaching it in one direction it will actuate the sensor, and the magnetic force is strong enough to hold it in that position. But if you move the Unleashed in from another angle, it might not trigger the sensor.

To fix the issue, you can detach the Unleashed from the magnetic plug, and use its magnet to switch the sensor on and off.
If you hold the Unleashed to the bottom left corner of the screen with the logo pointing to you, the screen will turn on. if you flip the Unleashed around and you're looking at the magnet, this will turn off the screen.
You can experiment with how to best attach the Unleashed to the plug without triggering the switch. and you can always untrigger the switch by holding the Unleashed (or another magnet, or even ferrous metal) in the bottom left corner of the screen!

We have not come across any other cameras that do this, just the X-T4 🤷‍♂️

if it's hugely bothersome (I expect there to be some variation in the sensitivity of these sensors), you could try sticking a flat piece of ferrous metal, or if you have one, a very thin magnet behind the screen in that location, that could already do the trick to solve the problem permanently.
X-T4-magnet.jpg
X-T4-magnet.jpg (89.58 KiB) Viewed 809 times
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Neil

November 15th, 2023, 10:56 pm

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your response. I have tried adding the Unleashed in different ways but the screen still goes black but I am more concerned that the app will not trigger the camera. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Neil
Oliver

November 15th, 2023, 11:42 pm

Have you seen this?
https://www.foolography.com/start/

FUJIFILM
  • On newer cameras (eg X-T4), set the camera setting: MENU > SET UP > CONNECTION SETTING > CONNECTION MODE = USB TETHER SHOOTING AUTO
  • On cameras that have this (eg X-T5), also set USB POWER SUPPLY/COMM SETTING = POWER SUPPLY OFF/COMM ON
  • On older cameras (eg X-T2), set the camera setting: MENU > SET UP > CONNECTION SETTING > PC CONNECTION MODE = USB TETHER SHOOTING AUTO
  • If previously connected to Fujifilm Cam Remote app via WiFi, disconnect
Neil

November 16th, 2023, 12:23 am

Hi Oliver,

Yes, I have seen that and followed the the instructions.

Thanks Neil
Neil

November 16th, 2023, 3:16 am

Hi Oliver,

I have done some more testing but still can not get the app to take a photo. A couple of photos attached.

I have -

1 - reinstalled the app

2 - downgraded the firmware

3 - when I take a photo from the app the light on the back of the X-T4 flashes

4 - when I take a photo from the app the image counter on the camera disappears and reappears but the number does not change

5 - when I take a photo from the app the ss and iso on the app go from gray to white

Thanks,

Neil
Oliver

November 16th, 2023, 5:17 pm

Hi Neil, I don't see any pictures, could you try sending them again?
Neil

November 16th, 2023, 7:08 pm

Hi Oliver,

Sending the images in two posts.

Thanks Neil
Attachments
cds-7977.jpg
cds-7977.jpg (128.24 KiB) Viewed 782 times
cds-7976.jpg
cds-7976.jpg (128.2 KiB) Viewed 782 times
Neil

November 16th, 2023, 7:08 pm

Hi Oliver,

Second set of images.

Thanks Neil
Attachments
cds-9294.jpg
cds-9294.jpg (95.32 KiB) Viewed 782 times
cds-9293.jpg
cds-9293.jpg (103.47 KiB) Viewed 782 times
cds-9291.jpg
cds-9291.jpg (96.41 KiB) Viewed 782 times
Oliver

November 17th, 2023, 11:40 pm

We just published another firmware update with several fixes for Fuji cameras. The fixes are mainly for bugs found with the newer cameras, but maybe they solve an issue for you too.

When you restart your app, it will get the firmware update automatically and you'll see a red notification badge on the menu icon in the bottom left corner of the app. Follow this notification badge through the app to get to the firmware update screen.
App menu (bottom left) → Unleashed with gear icon (bottom left) → tap on your Unleashed (near top ) → tap "Firmware"
Scroll down and tap "Install Update". With the Unleashed M, you need to keep the camera awake, so that the Unleashed stays powered during the entire update. To keep the camera from entering standby, half-press the cameras's shutterbutton continuously or regularly until the update is done. This only takes a little over a minute.

let me know if that solves your issue!