Sony A7RIV Holy Grail Not Working [solved - defective hardware]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
jonsadrgilany

November 17th, 2023, 2:38 am

Hello,

I've finally made some progress in getting the Unleashed 22' up and running. It's connected to the camera after some tweaking in the menu settings, but when I go to use the holy grail option, the algorithm is performing no automatic ramping. I am able to adjust the EV, but that is not an automatic ramping feature.

Can someone please help me troubleshoot this? The camera is obviously connected because I can change settings on the camera from the app, but the algorithm is not working. I tested it during sunset, and the image just kept getting darker. When I click through the menu Unleashed M - > Accessories - > ILCE - 7RM4 the accessories menu shows there is no connection. Is this an indication of some problem? I'm not sure since the first Unleashed M menu does show a connection, and as previously stated, I do have some access to the device.

Thank you.

- Jon
Oliver

November 18th, 2023, 12:26 am

Hi,

did you follow all these steps we mention in the getting started page?

- Set the file format to RAW+JPEG (or just JPEG), There are significant disadvantages with just RAW
- MENU > Network > Transfer/Remote > PC Remote Function > PC Remote = On
- PC Remote Cnct Method = USB
- Still Img. Save Dest. = PC+Camera
- RAW+J PC Save Img = JPEG Only

It sounds like you might have the camera still set to raw, or one of the other two settings above is wrong. When we get a raw image, there's a bug in Sony's firmware that means we can't make sure the raw file is removed from the buffer ram, but this is necessary to ensure continuous operation. The only workaround we found is to restart USB after a while, before the cameras buffer fills up. This does cause a significant delay, and will almost definitely break the Holy grail algorithm.

Let me know if this explains the issue you had, and if the settings above alleviate the problem! If not, please post as many details as you can, such as Algorithm, Day/Night limits, starting values, interval, etc, but also how you tested to determine that it's not working.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
jonsadrgilany

November 22nd, 2023, 9:11 pm

So now the issue has become worse. The unleashed will not even connect to my camera anymore.

I didn't have the file format to RAW+JPEG at first, but I can't test it now since there's no longer access to the app functions.

I've been struggling with getting this product connected to both my cameras since I received it. I also bought the hdmi chord for the a7rV but was never able to connect that camera so I figured I'd focus on the a7rIV first. Now neither of them are functioning.

Is it possible I received a defective item?

Thank you,

Jon
jonsadrgilany

November 22nd, 2023, 10:05 pm

Update:

So I managed to establish a connection, and the algorithm feature is working correctly.

Unfortunately, I turned the camera off to test if it was repeatable and there is no longer a connection.

This is so unreliable that it is unusable. And I know the settings are correct because when I do establish a connection everything works properly.

Attached is an image of my screen in the app.
Attachments
IMG_6963.PNG
IMG_6963.PNG (126.49 KiB) Viewed 6532 times
jonsadrgilany

November 27th, 2023, 6:57 pm

Hello,

This is my second post about this issue since I haven't been getting timely assistance regarding this problem.

I have followed all of the steps detailed in the 'getting started' page.

My unleashed does not reliably pair with my cameras ( I have both an a7RIV and an a7RV). In some rare instances it does pair, but it is not repeatable, and the hardware is unusable in any practical sense.

I believe my product is defective, and I would like a replacement. Please contact me back ASAP, as I have already waited since last March for this product and still don't have a working solution for creating timelapses.

Thank you,

Jon Sadrgilany
Attachments
IMG_6963.PNG
IMG_6963.PNG (126.49 KiB) Viewed 6922 times
jonsadrgilany

December 16th, 2023, 8:13 pm

Hello Oliver,

I have updated to the latest firmware, and there is still no connection.

I am also at the stage where I need a replacement unit. I've followed all of your troubleshooting instructions with my Sony A7RV (including the method without the USB cable), and although my Unleashed shows a turquoise light and is 'connected', none of the operational functions are available and the device is entirely unusable.

My order number is #44751.

Please respond with a confirmation so I can have an idea of when to expect a solution. My unit is defective, and I expect a replacement ASAP.

Thank you.
jonsadrgilany

December 23rd, 2023, 5:22 pm

I've followed all the instructions for setup located here: https://www.foolography.com/start/

Double checked and triple checked my settings

Updated to Latest Firmware A 3.2.0 B3.2.0 C3.1.0

The Unleashed is still not working. There is no connection ( It shows M: [OxFF] )

The device is unusable.

Oliver,

You responded in a different thread that you would follow up with this. Where is the follow up?

One of my threads inquiring about this has now just disappeared.

The service experience with this product is absolutely horrible. My unleashed doesn't work, and I'd like a replacement (as I suspect the hardware is defective) or a refund.

Please!
Oliver

December 24th, 2023, 4:14 am

Hi Jon,

here's the followup I promised.

I've not deleted your posts, I have merged them into this one thread.
It's very difficult to keep track of issues people might have, if they are spread over multiple threads. It gets worse if you also write emails, Kickstarter/Indiegogo comments/messages.
I understand you want to get your issues resolved asap, but please know that this only made it take longer. When I know I have to check 3 - 4 different channels, to get partial information from each, and try to piece together a picture of an issue, which is going to take me the better part of an hour, I'll always prefer to help 5 others in the same time.
On top of that, my colleague mostly handles emails, though I often briefly see the notifications when they come in, whereas I do my best to reply here in the Forum. So when I see your email come in, that makes me assume that my colleague will take it from here (so I then don't reply to open threads on the Forum anymore), but she actually reads the contents of the emails and depending on what you write in there, she might see that there's an open thread on the Forum for this topic, I'll answer when that's cleared up. (She also always has more than enough emails to reply to!)

Now, to the actual problems you're having:

I understand that you believe your product is defective, and while this is of course a possibility, we always try narrow down the possible causes of issues in order to determine that this is actually the case. There's no point in sending replacement Unleasheds across the world, only to run into the same issues, if it turns out that the cause was not a hardware defect after all!

However, from your various points of contact, I'm getting conflicting information, and it's difficult for me to know exactly what the current state is, besides "its not working".

I'll try to recapitulate - correct me if I got something wrong:

- your first post here was that you got the Unleashed working, but had issues getting Holy grail to run.
- then you wrote about accessories showing as being connected - did you enable geotagging (which works via an Accessory connection on Sony cameras)?
- You also wrote about trying it on different cameras - if you did enable geotagging, be aware that the Unleashed will keep trying to connect to the camera you paired as an accessory, even if you physically connect it to a different camera.
- You sent screenshots of the Holy grail limits showing up correctly in the app, then in the Forum send a screenshot with none of the settings being populated, but only show the Holy grail screen...
- You wrote "So now the issue has become worse. The unleashed will not even connect to my camera anymore." - what do you mean with that?
- You then wrote "So I managed to establish a connection, and the algorithm feature is working correctly." but that it failed again after power cycling.
- Then "My unleashed does not reliably pair with my cameras ( I have both an a7RIV and an a7RV). In some rare instances it does pair, but it is not repeatable, and the hardware is unusable in any practical sense." - What do you mean with "pair" - are you talking about App to Unleashed, or Unleashed to camera via USB or Unleashed to Camera via Bluetooth (for geotagging)?
- The test without the USB cable was only for the guys in the other thread with an Unleashed N2, the Unleashed M always needs the HDMI cable to get power.

So after all this, I still don't know what works for you and what doesn't, nor what you have tried.

Please do the following:
- Make sure you plug the HDMI cable into the top of the Unleashed, so when you look at the front of the Unleashed, the cable points to the right.
- Plug in both the HDMI cable and the (magnetic) USB plug.
- Twist the Unleashed on the USB plug back and forth a few times - this can clean the contacts of the magnetic plug
- Turn on the camera and make sure you have a memory card inserted. start with just one - if possible a smaller, fast one.
- open the app and check that the Unleashed connects via Bluetooth (turquoise dot)
- go to Menu -> Unleashed with gear icon -> Your Unleashed -> Firmware. Send me a screenshot, then do a firmware update. Be sure to follow the instructions in the app and halfpress the camera's shutterbutton while the Unleashed is updating. This is crucial or the Unleashed loses power in the middle of the update and won't work until you re-install the firmware. Send me another screenshot of the Firmware. Note: we just released FW 3.2.0 yesterday, and it includes a fix for Sony triggering and sony timelapse, as well as an increased initialization delay. more on this later.
- go to Menu -> Unleashed with gear icon -> Your Unleashed -> Settings -> Factory reset (at the very bottom)
- go to the PHOTO screen. if the settings are greyed out, tap on one, and you'll get an error message in the bottom half of the screen. Please send me a screenshot of that.
- if the settings are white, change them, and see if that works. Take a picture. take 5 more. Take 20 more.
- Open Image review in the bottom right corner, and enable image review - first S, then L. Send me a screenshot.

Should you still have the issue that it works once, then after power cycling the camera it does not work anymore, please try this:
- Plug the HDMI cable into the camera and Unleashed, and the magnetic USB plug into the camera. However, disconnect the magnetic connection of the Unleashed. turn on the camera, and after 3 seconds or so, connect the Unleashed to the magnetic plug. Does this fix your issue? If so, the additional delay in the current FW update 3.2.0 should solve this problem.

If that's not the problem, and you're still having intermittent issues, can you ry pushing onto the Unleashed when it's not working to see if it starts working? How about when you twist the Unleashed by 90 degrees in either direction? Please check the concentricity of the contact rings of the Magnetic USB plug. Could you send us a closeup photo of both mating surfaces of the magnetic connection?

Generally, the A7RV will work better than the A7RIV, but do try with both cameras.

Oh, and do not try to power the camera via the second USB port on your cameras. this will create a conflict, and the camera will only allow one of the ports to function. if it detects power on one first, then even communication via the other is blocked. if you start with communication on one, then even powering/charging on the other is blocked.

I hope this helps you fix the issue, or at least figure out where it comes from so we can help fix it.

Alright it's 4 am on the night before Christmas, so I better get some sleep.

Happy holidays!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
jonsadrgilany

December 26th, 2023, 6:56 pm

Hi Oliver,

To start, the confusion and multiple posts could have been avoided had you or one of your team members put out a post specifying that you wouldn’t be able to answer us just yet or did the expedient thing and just refunded or replaced the product.

This is not the first Timelapse product you have released. We are not your beta testing focus group. These products should never have been released to the public with as many issues as they have, particularly as they were marketed to be a plug-and-play solution to our needs. Many of us on this forum have expressed this sentiment so please do not patronize us when you are the one who should own the major mistakes associated with your company.

Let me clarify my experience so far. I was able to establish a connection (meaning the trigger was actually communicating with my camera and the menu options were available) three times out of dozens and dozens of attempts.

The initial post was made the first time that connection was established, but I couldn’t access the holy grail due to my camera settings just being set to RAW and not RAW & JPEG. The second time I established a connection the Holy Grail feature worked due to the settings being adjusted. I turned off the camera to see if it was repeatable, but I could not establish the same connection again. The third time it connected randomly but it hasn’t been repeatable since then after many more attempts. The app is not pairing to the camera.

I no longer own an A7RIV so now I am only attempting on an A7RV.

I’ve followed all of your troubleshooting instructions.

- unleashed cable points to the right

- both hdmi and magnetic usb plug are plugged in

- twisted the unleashed back and forth on the usb plug

- used only one memory card inserted (128gb is all I have and it’s a fast one)

-there is a turquoise dot

- firmware screenshot attached

-factory reset completed

- photo screen settings screen shot attached ( It says the USB is not working)

- I pushed on the unleashed, twisted it 90 degrees in either direction, and checked the concentricity of the contact rings on the magnetic plug. Photos are attached of the mating surfaces of the magnetic connection.

- I am not using the second USB port on my camera.

The only thing I can think of is that it’s a USB connection issue which I have no idea how to solve. I’ve followed all of the instruction on the Getting Started Page with no luck.

Sony – new Menu (2019+)
• MENU > Setup > USB > USB Connection Mode = PC Remote. 
This automatically sets:
MENU > Network > Transfer/Remote > PC Remote Function > PC Remote = On and
PC Remote Cnct Method = USB
• If previously connected to Image Edge Mobile app via WiFi Direct, disconnect
• If previously set to transfer FTP over USB
Set the camera setting: MENU > Network > Transfer/Remote > FTP Transfer Func. > FTP Function = Off

Ultimately, I need a replacement because it appears the product is defective –– or a refund. I have already wasted so much time troubleshooting this product with no success. I’ve never had an experience with a company where I am expected to troubleshoot on the company’s behalf, rather than just get a new product that works as intended. It’s absolutely ridiculous.
jonsadrgilany

December 26th, 2023, 6:57 pm

Attachments
Attachments
IMG_7256.PNG
IMG_7256.PNG (155.24 KiB) Viewed 6152 times
IMG_7254.jpg
IMG_7254.jpg (155.57 KiB) Viewed 6152 times