Sony A7R VI Do I have the wrong cable? [solved: plugged in wrong way round)

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
jstewartau

February 9th, 2024, 7:38 am

The only way I seem to be able to connect the cable is to have it squashed hard up against the door to the unit. This will not last more than a month or two.
Am I connecting it incorrectly or do I have the wrong cable.Image
Oliver

February 9th, 2024, 3:13 pm

No, it's the right cable, we only have one version of each of the HDMI cables.
I know it's not ideal for this one camera, but at least 95% of cameras have the HDMI sockets oriented the other way round, so we had to optimise for that. The Sony A7R IV is one of the few exceptions.
However, you don't need to worry about it not lasting! The cables are designed to be extremely resilient. they have extremely flexible strands of wire inside, and the insulation is made of TPE, both of which means that you can bend it as tightly as you want to, pull on it, pinch it and treat it quite harshly without risking any damage!

That said, you did do something wrong: it's plugged into the Unleashed the wrong way round! There is a slot and key that should stop you from doing so, but because the casing is plastic, it’s possible to overcome this. But don't worry: we designed it so that even if you do manage, it won’t break anything - it just won’t work.
The LED won't light up, the Unleashed M won't get any power so it won't show up during pairing.

If you're looking at the front of the Unleashed, with the logo toward you, and the Unleashed in its regular, upright orientation, the socket will be at the top.
On the Unleashed M, plug the cable into the the Unleahsed so that the cable points toward the right, ie toward the back of the camera.
In your case, with the Unleashed rotated to the right by 90º, the cable needs to point downward.

I'd recommend guiding the cable around the bottom of the Unleashed then up again between Unleashed and flap.

I hope that helps!

Please have a look at our getting started page, the info about this is on there too, as well as how to prepare your camera - again, the A7R IV is a bit special:

https://www.foolography.com/start/
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
jstewartau

February 20th, 2024, 3:44 pm

Thanks Oliver for this extremely helpful response. I was wondering why the power was not coming on. I didn't want to force it so hadn't managed to get it working until I did this.