Ramping Order in Holy Grail

Let's help each other to become better photographers and videographers. Tips and tricks for better photos, videos, timelapse etc. are welcome.
Deedubb

November 11th, 2023, 3:11 am

Have used Unleashed 22 over 2 nights now and getting inconsistent result on night 2,
742 images taken at 20 sec intervals, Day at 1/4000, F3.5, 1000 iso, leading to night, 15 sec, f3.5, 2500 iso

I suspect it may be because I changed the ramping order (eg) Av-Tv-ISO. What is the "Ramping Order" and how does it work: does the Unleashed set each parameter from these 3 settings in order, or does it read each of these parameters in this order and set exposure accordingly?
Note flickering especially in night portion in the youtube video: https://youtu.be/lP-6S87kR3U

What should the best ramping order be for each of the Holy Grail logarithms for Sunsets and Sunrises?
Equipment: Fuji X-H1

Take, for instance, the images I have attached, taken 15 sec apart.
DSCF1636 "chose" an iso of 1600
DSCF1637 "chose" an iso of 2000
DSCF1638 "chose" an iso of 1000
DSCF1639 "chose" an iso of 1250 (not posted here)
(I had to scale them down to post here)

All of thise leads to an unattractive flickering effect when all images are compiled into a timelapse in FCPX.

If you could advise the best ramping order to use for each then I shall try again.

Look forward to hearing from you, thanks.
Attachments
resize DSCF1638.jpg
resize DSCF1638.jpg (167.19 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
resize DSCF1637.jpg
resize DSCF1637.jpg (226.81 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
resize DSCF1636.jpg
resize DSCF1636.jpg (213.65 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
Oliver

November 13th, 2023, 11:36 am

OK, this certainly does not look how it should!

But before we look into any possible bugs, Your camera does have a special problem, that makes it vulnerable to misconfiguration for Holy Grail timelapses:

As we write on our Getting Started page:
https://www.foolography.com/start/

- For the Unleashed to be able to change shutter speed, aperture, ISO and exposure compensation, the hardware dials have to be set to the correct mode: (T, A, C, C respectively).
- Older cameras such as the X-T2 do not report the writability of the hardware dial settings. For example: The shutterspeed dial might be set to 1/60, but in the Unleashed app, you can still change the shutterspeed, and the camera will even confirm this new setting, but when you actually take a photo, it will use the 1/60s setting from the dial. This is especially important to remember for auto ramping to first ensure that the dials are set to a writable mode. Newer models such as the X-T4 do not have this limitation.

I'm not saying it's definitely what your problem is, but it would be a perfect explanation, for what I see in your video.

As for your question what Ramping order is:

Lets take our default: Tv -> Av -> ISO
On sunset, we will start with your current values, then start by ramping shutterspeed (Tv) all the way down until we have reached the Shutter Speed Night Limit that you set (default: Interval-2s). Once this limit has been reached, we continue ramping Aperture down to its night limit, and lastly we will ramp ISO down to its night limit.
On a sunset we do the opposite: ramp ISO back up to its day limit, then Aperture, and lastly, shutterspeed.
You can either use the limits to make sure a setting doesn't change (in fact, our defaults are that the aperture day and night limits are the same as the current aperture value, since Aperture changes are the least consistent, so lead to the most flicker), or you can change the Ramping order setting to exclude a setting.

I hope this helps!
It would be great if you could confirm the above suspicion, that one of your dials was set to a fixed value rather than (T A C or C).
Thanks!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Deedubb

November 13th, 2023, 1:05 pm

Hi Olivier, thank you for your reply.

I definitely had my Shutter speed set to “T”, However Aperture set to a fixed value (3.2), so that is one element we can try next time!

The descriptor you have used is T A C C
So set
-Shutter speed to “T”
-Aperture set on lens ring to “A”
-ISO to “C” ,but I don’t have this on my dial: do you mean “A”?
-Exposure Compensation to “0”? Again you have mentioned “C” but not sure what this means.

Problem I have is that when I set up using these settings, the app asks me to set mode to “M”.

I do this, but then the app automatically defers back to Shutter Speed Priority. I don’t have the ability to select M mode from within the app. The app will go no further until I select M mode, but it won’t allow me to do this as it automatically cycles back to shutter speed priority. https://youtube.com/shorts/AR4SV_mtfV4? ... mKjr5jLXEU

Looking forward to your solution!

Cheers

Dean W
Attachments
IMG_1815.jpeg
IMG_1815.jpeg (162.13 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
IMG_1816.png
IMG_1816.png (153.01 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
Deedubb

November 23rd, 2023, 5:54 am

The good news is that I have been able to set up my X-H1 to accomodate the settings that the Unleashed required. Fuji's menu system is diabolical but after some serious digging in the manual I have been able to set the "TACC" requirement so the Unleashed 22 can interact with the camera as it should and I can enter parameters properly.

The bad news is it seems something is going wrong with the ramping. I'll create another post in the bugs section which I think is the appropriate place for it.

Dean W
Oliver

December 1st, 2023, 11:11 am

Hi, and sorry for not replying last week.

Great that you found how to change the settings.
Yeah, Fuji is the only brand that does not follow the principle of starting with Program Mode, then determining which of the 3 exposure values can be adjusted, but does the opposite instead: Mode is determined by which of the exposure values are currently set to be "adjustable"...
The Unleashed and all its logic was designed for the "Mode first" cameras, so often for Fuji users, some of the Error messages might not intuitively make sense. Once you have found the right settings, you should be good to go though.

We'll check your other thread with the problems.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.