Cannot get the photo review working.

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
DocK

August 6th, 2020, 9:45 am

Hi,

I´m wondering why everything is in English despite you are a german enterprise.
But never mind - just unpacked and installed the C1 model. Everything works as expected, but I cannot
get the photo review working.

1.) Connected
2.) Installed Update
3.) Everything working

After tapping the right lower icon the Photo Review pops up. Turning it "on"! After this step I´m probably missing something.
What comes next? If I hit the exposure button the camera takes a picture. Where is the review supposed to pop up?

Just forgot: working with iPhone Xs
Doc
Unfoolishly

August 6th, 2020, 1:27 pm

DocK wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 9:45 am
Hi,

I´m wondering why everything is in English despite you are a german enterprise.
Because this forum is used by all customers of the Unleashed. And internationally speaking, it is wise to address your issues in English so more users can read your post without first having to translate it using Google Translate. And thus the forum users can help you get your answer faster without having to wait for an official response from Foolography admins in this forum.
Not everybody takes the time to translate a German message and react to it in German because it's not their mother tongue.
But you are free to post your message in English, German, Hindi, Swedish, or what ever language there is. But do not expect a response from me in the Klingon language ;-)
But never mind - just unpacked and installed the C1 model. Everything works as expected, but I cannot get the photo review working.

1.) Connected
2.) Installed Update
3.) Everything working

After tapping the right lower icon the Photo Review pops up. Turning it "on"! After this step I´m probably missing something.
What comes next? If I hit the exposure button the camera takes a picture. Where is the review supposed to pop up?

Just forgot: working with iPhone Xs
Doc
Did you tap the photo review icon again after you turned it on? That means you cannot see the thumbnail, but it is there! Just press the photo review button again, and your thumbnail photo will show up. When you slide to the left/right, the on/off button will appear. Even so the thumbnails of the photo's taken.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
DocK

August 6th, 2020, 3:51 pm

You are absolutely right - english is no problem for me.

I start Unleashed - choose Photo - the bottom right icon has an x - Itap the Photo review button and slide to on - tap the icon again ans the screen says " Choose a setting to get started."
I take 5 pictures with different settings - no preview pictures on the Unleashed screen but they are on the Camera sreen.
Doc
Unfoolishly

August 6th, 2020, 4:13 pm

DocK wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 3:51 pm
You are absolutely right - english is no problem for me.

I start Unleashed - choose Photo - the bottom right icon has an x - Itap the Photo review button and slide to on - tap the icon again ans the screen says " Choose a setting to get started."
I take 5 pictures with different settings - no preview pictures on the Unleashed screen but they are on the Camera sreen.
Doc
I have tested it out with another smartphone, and indeed: no thumbnails of the photo's seem to show up. This is a bug. Congrats, you have found a bug! ;-)
Please create a new post with title: "Photo review option not fully working (possible bug)".
I will see you there, in that post and discuss the bug there. Why? Because this is a new bug, and this post is about an already handled bug-situation.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
DocK

August 6th, 2020, 5:04 pm

Doc
Unfoolishly

August 6th, 2020, 6:51 pm

photo-review-bug.rar
Hi All,

Same here. There are a few strange bugs in this photo review option. Strange as in: hard to reproduce. But it did happen!

Smartphone:
Wileyfox Swift 2X; SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 (MSM8937)

Unleashed App:
version = 1.3.10
date = 5th of june 2020

Camera:
Nikon D7100 (firmware: C 1.04, L 2.018)

Unleashed:
N2 (firmware A 1.4.5, B 1.4.9, C 1.4.0)

Possible bug #1:
Thumbnail image of photo is not fully loaded/transfered. Keeps sticking at 99%. This happened with firmware A 1.4.4.
With A 1.4.5 it did no longer occur. Our better: could not reproduce the error/bug.

Possible bug #2:
Some thumbnail images were not shown in the App, but they were loaded/transfered over Bluetooth.
I did see the thumbnail progress circle reach 100%, but then the thumbnail area in the App remained black (no thumbnail to see). Photo preview was ON.
Could not reproduce it after firmware update A from 1.4.4 to 1.4.5.

This is the same bug as DocK noticed too.

I am not sure I can reproduce the errors/bugs again with the current setup (camera/unleashed) because I updated the firmware from A 1.4.4 to A 1.4.5.
(Although I don't see any mentioning in the firmware update page about any fix for the photo-review option? See: https://www.foolography.com/products/un ... /firmware/

Possible bug #3:
When I delete the photo on the camera memory card, the thumbnail in the App doesn't get deleted. I don't think it is really a bug, but a out-of-sync problem between camera and smartphone.
Requested feature is: when the photo is deleted from the camera, also delete the exact same thumbnail belonging to that photo in the Unleashed App.

I am out of bugs right now :)

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Unfoolishly

August 6th, 2020, 7:08 pm

photo-review-bug4.rar
Hi All,

Found another bug.

Possible bug #4:
When tapping on a few settings (can't remember in which order), it happened that the off/on button of the photo review changed into only being an on button.
Strange. Should stay off/on button, whatever the setting might be.

Update: I don't know how I managed it to do this, but screenshot 4 is of the virtual unleashed, which by no means should have been shown because the Unleashed was in operation and the camera was on. I have no idea how this happened? I sure did not start up a virtual unleashed.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Oliver

August 6th, 2020, 11:17 pm

Hi guys, I split the posts from the first topic, then saw you created a new one, so I merged the split ones with this new topic.

First of all:
@Unfoolishly: While it's helpful of you to try to help other customers, maybe you can add a signature that you're a (happy) customer, so others aren't confused to think you're answering for/from Foolography.
Also, please try to phrase your statements a little less definitive, and authoritative for the same reason, like this one:
I have tested it out with another smartphone, and indeed: no thumbnails of the photo's seem to show up. This is a bug. Congrats, you have found a bug! ;-)
Please create a new post with title: "Photo review option not fully working (possible bug)".
I will see you there, in that post and discuss the bug there. Why? Because this is a new bug, and this post is about an already handled bug-situation.
No, this is not a bug! Well, there might be one, but your test certainly does not confirm this is one.

@DocK
The thumbnails only show up in the thumbnail view. The first thumbnail would move the grey box where you turned on thumbnails to the right, and load the thumbnail. If you close that view again (by tapping on the thumbnail icon, or any other settings icon, for that matter), the thumbnails will still transfer, but not just show up in a different view. If you now tap on the thumbnail icon, you should see a thumbnail or more. You might have to swipe to the right to see them. If you go to an entirely different screen (out of the Photo screen), we turn off thumbnail transfer at the moment. Also, when the Unleashed goes to idle mode, or the app goes into the background.

Have a look at our support howto video:
https://www.foolography.com/faqs/how-do ... to-review/

Another thing: if you take lots of photos in a row, while one thumbnail is transferring, we will typically transfer only the last one, as we only buffer the info for one more thumbnail other than the one already transferring. So in a burst of 5 photos, it's very likely only the first and the last will be transferred to the app.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Oliver

August 6th, 2020, 11:49 pm

@Unfoolishly: now you're the one derailing the thread from an originally different issue ;-)

I'll address some of your issues (which btw are not immediately "bugs")

#1) Well, transmission errors can happen, and when they do, we can't recover from them - the constrained memory available in the Unleashed, and low bandwidth of BLE made us decide against transfer protocols/methods that would allow for error recovery, in favor of speeding up the transmission to maximise the usage of the little bandwidth that we have.
That said, we, as well as other customers have observed the issue of the thumbnails stopping to load at 99% as well, and it has always gone away after clearing Bluetooth Cache of the phone and app, going to flight mode, or one of the other methods to help the Android Bluetooth Stack back onto its feet. So again, this seems to be an issue coming from the Android Bluetooth Stack, rather than the Unleashed app or firmware. I assume updating the firmware had the same effect on the Stack - we tell android to restart Service discovery after each update, essentially clearing the cache. The firmware A1.4.5 contained only a very small fix for the canon 760D, so this definitely wouldn't have any effect whatsoever on your D7100 thumbnail transfers.

#2) If we detect a corrupt or incomplete thumbnail, we delete it. The corruption could well have the same cause as above, if it was fixed by your firmware update.

#3) As you said yourself, this is definitely not a bug - if anything, it's a feature request, but I can already tell you that we won't implement it like that. While you might want to delete thumbnails in the app that you deleted on the card, others might want the exact opposite. Also, since we turn off USB very often to save power, it's very likely that the Unleashed will never find out about photos being deleted, so we'd have no way of knowing which photos were deleted. How about if you switch SD cards: would you like us to delete all the images in the app then? I don't think so...

#4) The Virtual Unleashed is not fully functional, and it's meant as a way to play around with the UI of the app before you own the Unleashed. After pairing the first Unleashed, the Virtual Unleashed is disabled automatically. If you disable all paired Unleasheds in the "YOUR UNLEASHEDS" screen, then that automatically enables the Virtual Unleashed.

While we're happy to receive bug reports to be able to improve the Unleashed, and do take them seriously, please be aware that the any time we spend here writing about them is not spent on solving them. So if you really want bugs to be fixed, please:
- Check our support section with the howto videos and FAQs to see if your issue might not simply be expected behaviour.
- Check our forum - and look for [solved] topics to see if your issue has been adressed before.
- Make sure the issue is reproducible, and let us know exactly the steps of how to reproduce it. Screen recording or video is helpful.
- If you're on Android, please enable Logging (Menu->(i)->App Settings -> Enable Logging), then carry out all the steps to reproduce the issue, then go back to App Settings and send us the log file along with the screen recording to match that.
- If you'd like to, then you can post on the forum about this (or just wait for us to answer your report email)
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Unfoolishly

August 6th, 2020, 11:58 pm

Hi All,

@Oliver:
I understand fully what you mean. I wasn't trying to fool the customers of Foolography into making them believe I am part of the "customer service department". But I am part of the Unleashed movement. Also known as: huge fan ;-)

I did test it out and there was a glitch in the user interface. Really. So, I could confirm what DocK was experiencing. Something didn't show up while expecting it that it would be there (the thumbnail). I actually thought I could not produce the (possible) bug, but surprisingly something did go exactly as DocK mentioned. That was not what I was expecting at all. Strange.

The problem is only that the (possible) bug happened, but I could not reproduced it later on. Why? Because I could not recall what I actually did before it occured. That is why I posted another post in the Feature Wishes & Suggestions forum part to request a alternative logging (for the users, not for the developers), one that users can read to actually do the same steps over and over again to make the (possible) bug come to the surface.

I added a signature. I hope you like it :-)

@DocK:
I did test it out on my smartphone and I exactly had the same experience, so it is possible that it is a bug. Of course I hope not, but there were some glitches in the user interface. Thumbnail didn't show up, athough the camera was on, the Unleashed was active and the Unleashed App running smoothly.

I guess there could be a bug, but the question is: can we reproduce it so that it comes to the surface?

@All:
You know, sometimes bugs do occur, but nobody believes you until they see it for themselves. It is more like that moment in the sitcom The Office (US), when Pam tells everybody that the DVD logo bounced exactly in the corner of the screen, but nobody saw that happening... until... they saw it all. This is what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOtuX0jL85Y
That is how bugs sometimes behave too: you saw it, but nobody believes you... until...

Greetings,
Unfoolishly