Come by our booth in Hall 4.1, Booth G39. We’d love to meet you there. The coffee is on us! ;)
Every two years, photokina opens it’s doors here in Cologne, Germany. The worlds biggest tradeshow for all things photography starts today. Our booth is set up and ready, you’re very welcome to come visit us: We’re in Hall 4.1, Booth G39, close to Profoto and Sunbounce.
This year we’re not launching a new product of our own, but we’re launching the perfect partner for our Unleashed: The Bad Elf GPS Pro and GPS Pro+. With a great feature set of their own, the combination with our Unleashed gets even better. Read more in our next entry!
We spent all of last week at photokina in Cologne. We’re very glad to be back in Wiesbaden though. As fun as it is to talk to all you visitors, and show off our great products, six days is a long time! Especially after several weeks of preparations.
Thank you all for coming by! We’ll definitely be back in 2 years!
At first, my heart sunk: No GPS icon on the top LCD. Luckily, when I took photos, the GPS data was embedded in the EXIF data! I figured that Nikon might have simply not included a GPS icon at all on the top LCD. Looking through the manual (page
175 ) it is evident that this is not the case. – there definitely should be a GPS icon. Maybe I simply overlooked it, or the Model on display malfunctioned in some way.
The Unleashed will fit nicely on the D600, the only problem being that the rubberflap is in the way. While it is possible to use the Unleashed like that, the pressure from the flap will, over time, cause the Plug on the Unleashed to break off the PCB inside, which eventually result in malfunction. There are two nice solutions for this:
- Cut a rectangle out of the flap, just over the port – so the flap remains closed while the Unleashed is plugged in.
- Remove the flap entirely: A customer figured out a great, almost entirely reversible method for this:
[image from georgle’s blog]
by cutting the rubber hinges that wrap around the metal pin right next to the flap, it is possible to remove the flap entirely. By threading the hinges back under the metal pin, the flap can be replaced and will retain its full functionality.
I misread the manual: Page 175 shows the INFO screen, not the TOP LCD. On page 7 one can see that the top LCD really does not have a GPS icon – in other words, the D600 is fully compatible with the Unleashed Dx000, no “odd behaviour”, no doubt about it.
Preparations for the worlds biggest photography trade fair are keeping us busy – just a little under 3 weeks left and a lot left to do!
Photokina starts on September 18th, and is open for 6 days – until the 23rd of September. Of course, we’ll be there in Cologne – our Booth is in Hall 5.1, Booth F006:
We’d love to see you there, show you our products, and answer any questions you might have.
We might just have something up our sleeve, that you wouldn’t want to miss. ;-)
photokina 2010 is over. We were there and had a great time!
The launch of our new products went really well, and these new Unleasheds for the D3100, D5000, D7000 and D90 were very well received by the visitors.
Finally the entire current Nikon DSLR Lineup is equipped with GPS capabilities!
The newly announced D7000 (it is still unclear where in Nikons lineup it belongs) and even the entry-level D3100 announced just a few weeks ago, both have a GPS port, for directly connecting a GPS to it for geotagging your images. Along with the D5000 and the D90, which already had such a port, and of course all of Nikons professional cameras, which have had one for several years. This means that all of Nikons current DSLRs are capable of direct geotagging!
Of course, you’re wondering when our Unleashed will fit these new cameras… but you might just have to wait a few more days to get that answer ;-)
|D7000 GPS port (dpreview.com)||D3100 GPS port (engadget.com)|
Starting date of this year’s photokina is coming up fast, and we’re extremely busy with preparations. We will finally launch a new product you have all been waiting for ;-)
If you want to be one of the first to see it live and in action, you’re very welcome to visit our booth in Hall 5.1 Stand F014. We’re looking forward to the show and hope to see you there!
- Thank you to the hosts of the photokina for organizing the event – I was honored to be able to meet you at the exhibitors party, even if it was pure chance that my wife and I sat down at the “wrong” table, which turned out to be so right.
- Thank you to the staff, who assisted us exhibitors so well, always remaining friendly and helpful.
- Thanks to our co-exhibitors – attracting so many visitors to the fair, which makes it a great opportunity for little companies like mine. Thanks also to the staff at our surrounding booths, for the talks and fun in times there were no visitors.
- Thanks a lot to my wife, Sophia, for coming with me, and helping me so much – couldn’t have done it without you!
- Thank you to the numerous distributors and retailers who took such great interest in our products – you will soon be hearing from me.
- And of course a big thank you to all visitors and (potential) customers (hint, hint ;-) ) for finding our little home-made booth, letting us tell you about geotagging and our great geotagging products.
- Another Thank you must go to all the visitors of this website, which because of the stressful photokina preparations was not always fully available, and even now is missing a lot of the contents. I will update it in the coming days. Sorry again for all the trouble.
Thank you photokina.